lundi 10 septembre 2018

Big result at Esprit MTL olympic duathlon


Lets start this olympic distance duathlon race report by the end : Here I am on the podium for overall classification. I'm 3rd/98 after a 2h07 result. Behind the untouchable Jesse Bauer (20-29yo elite canadian duathlete) coming from Edmonton. He beated (or killed/beheaded/atomozied me, name it...) by 14 minutes (1h53'48) I spoke with him post race. He said he came here to break the course record but failed by 24s...I remember him from the USA duathlon champs that I raced earlier this season. We were the only 2 canadians there. He told me he had said hi to me twice during that race, but I hadnt noticed (oupsss). Not on the podium but finishing number 2, was a 30-39yo guy (2h05'29).
I started the day with a mix of confidence (no injury for 2 years, best MAP (Maximal aerobic power) test this year, still a solid 5k time, 9th place in my category at sprint worldcup in Danemark, 4th place overall at sprint duathlon in Verdun) and fear (1st olympic distance ever, sligth cramps at the end of Verdun's race which is half the distance with my time trial bike (never happend with my road bike), not enough sleep the last 2 nights).

Despite a 10 minutes delay in my morning schedule I had enough time to get ready. Got to startline with calm and excitment. After jog, accelerations and primer (3min at 1h_pace) I did my leg swings and drills during the race meeting, apart from the groupe but still being able to hear race organizer's informations.

2 minutes before gun. I go in the pack. I was very happy that Steve was here cause he would start fast and some guys would try to stick with him and start whay to fast. My plan was to run 4'00/km the first 10k. Hard to do since I'll have to slow me down.
Gunshot! I started fast and got in 6th spot. After few meters tried to be back to my pace, got passed obviously by 4 guys. After 2km I'm now 10th. First guys are quite far ahead. But its a 2h+ race, pacing will be key. I have to resist the desire to stay with the leaders. After 3km I caught 1 guy, passing him veeeery slowly, no need to go faster. Poor guy I have my tempo trainer with me (set at 92bpm) so he could probably hear the bip...bip...bip during 2 or 3 minutes! Still very good sensations (hopefully!) my breathing is not so hard. I'm in control, focusing on my technic. My pace is very stable. Everything is going as planned! km4, I catch another dude. He's one of my competitor, same age group, I know he's strong. Same thing I pass him very slowly, he immediately run right behind me. But I can hear his breathing, sound whay to hard for early time in the race. Arriving at 5k, he's not behind me anymore but I know he's a good cyclist. We'll see. Crowd is big, cheering!
I can even hear my teammates from McGill ''Lets go Jean-Luc'', Sylvain, Hannah and Mathew were there. Thanks guys! Remaining 5k of the first run were good, catching up 2 other guys.
As you can see, pace and cadence super stable, except at 5k where the crowd encouraged every athlete to accelerate! Perfect first run. Very proud of it. Stick to the plan!
Biking now! So I'm 5th probably. 40k is long but no idea where my competitors are. Plan is to maintain 100-110rpm and 260-270watts. 1st lap is tough, cant make the watts. Starting to be a bit insecure...Not too many riders on the circuit which is cool. With my time trial bike, speed is still very fast compared to my road bike for equivalent watts. Starting 2nd lap I can now get my 260watts with some ease. Things are getting better mentally then. Lap after lap more and more people ride on the track. Makes things harder to manage (no drafting allowed). After lap 5 I start to feel abnormal big tensions in my calfs and harmstrings. I dont like that. Look like future cramps...But I'm thrilled to catchup 3 guys of my race! I pass them. But leg tensions are getting worse, especially when I stand up at the end of hairpin and in the little hill. So I decide to slow down. Moreover it becomes a mess on the circuit with sometimes a bunch of 10-15 people stuck together. Impossible not to draft. My 3 competitors pass me. 2 laps left. Power is now lower than it should be but my cramps are under control. We exit circuit together. The final 5k will be exciting!!
We can clearly see the drop in power (yellow) after 28k. Average speed was ok (37), average cadence too (96). During my last race in Verdun it was the same situation, I was with 4 guys at T2 but I knew they would all collapse since I could see their slow bike cadence or toes down pedalling style. And they all did. But today I had those light cramps which were a really bad sign before a 5k...

I exited the transition ahead of them. I dont like to be chased. The plan was again to run a 4'00/km pace. I could naturally go faster which I did. 3'50-3'55. Perfect, with great sensations! No ''step noise'' begind me, perfect again! Dont want to look behind since its a sign of fear/uncertainty which I didnt want to give to the guys behind. After 1km a spectator tell me ''Good jog, you're 3rd.2nd is not far ahead''. Such a great news!!! 3rd overall, I was thrilled! Keeping my pace below 4'00. I ran the first 2,5k at 3'52/k pace. Amazing! PROBLEM, tensions in my harmstrings are back. I shortened my stride and accelerate my cadence (93) to minimize chance of cramping. I can feel the finishline even if I cant see it. Final turn, I look behind...I dont see anybody. Lets go! But arriving at km4, cramp's here. I slow down, it stops. 1k left I run as fast as my cramp lets me go. Look back again, still nobody but I feel stressed. I cant loose my 3rd spot. I'm now running at 4'08/km. 300m from finishline, bang big cramp. I have to stop and stretch....I look behind and see 2 guys running at me!! Noooooo! Back to run. I go as fast as my body allow me to go. Cross the finishline 3rd. Amazing!
3 other guys arrive just behind, we congrats each other. Jesse Bauer was there, waiting for 14 minutes! We chat a bit.

I aslo finished 1st in my category, so for the 4th time in a row I got my ticket to the world championships :). This time it'll be in Pontevedro, Spain in may 2019. EXCITING!

My next races :
- Sep. 15th : McGill open Cross country (6k)
- Sep. 22nd : Montreal Rocknroll (5k)
- Sep. 30th : Olympic duathlon Provincials (Boucherville)
- Oct. 14th : Classique du Parc Lafontaine (5k or 10k)
- Oct. 27th. : Cross country Provincials (Montreal)
- Nov. 24th : Cross country Nationals (Kingston, Ontario)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire